The urban short story is the first reference to Bandung’s existence. From ancient archeological finds, we know the city was home to Australopithecus, Java Man. These folks lived on the banks of their Cikapundung in north Bandung, and on the beaches of the Great Lake of Bandung. Flint artifacts can nevertheless be found in the Upper Dago area along with the Geological Museum includes displays and fragments of skeletal remains and artifacts.
The Sundanese were a pastoral people farming the fertile regions of Bandung. They developed a playful oral heritage which contains the still practiced WayangGolek puppet theater, and many musical forms. “There’s a town named Bandung, comprising 25 to 30 homes,” composed Julian de Silva in 1614.
The accomplishments of European adventurers to try their fortune in the prosperous Bandung area, led eventually to 1786 when a road was built linking Jakarta, Bogor, Cianjur, and Bandung. This flow was increased when in 1809 Louis Napoleon, the ruler of the Netherlands, arranged Governor General H.W. Daendels, to increase defense in Java contrary to English. The vision was a chain of military defense units and also a supply road between Batavia and Cirebon. But this coastal area was marsh and swamp, and it was simpler to construct the street farther south, around the Priangan highlands.
11 km north of the then capital of Bandung. With his usual terseness, Daniels ordered the money to be hauled to the street. BupatiWiranatakusumah II chose a site south of this road on the western bank of the Cikapundung, near a set of sacred wells, Sumur Bandung, supposedly protected by the ancient goddess NyiKentringManik. On this site, he constructed his own dalem (palace) and the Alun-Alun (city square). Following conventional orientations, MesjidAgung (The Grand Mosque) was placed on the western side, along with the public market on the east. His residence and Pendopo (meeting place) were about the south facing the mystical mountain of TangkubanPerahu.
American cinchona (quinine), Assam tea, and coffee were introduced into the highlands. From the close of the century, Priangan was enrolled as the most prosperous plantation area of the province. In 1880 the rail line linking Jakarta and Bandung was completed and guaranteed a 2 1/2 hour trip from the blistering capital in Jakarta to Bandung.
With this life changed in Bandung, resorts, Cafes, stores sprouted up to serve the planters who either came down from their Highland plantations or up from the capital to frolic in Bandung. The Concordia Society was formed and with its large ballroom was the societal magnet for weekend Activities in the city. The Preanger Hotel, along with also the Savoy Homann, were the resorts of choice. The Braga became the promenade, lined with exclusive Europeans shops.